Innovation Leadership Programme
About this programme
The Cambridge SupTech Lab Innovation Leadership Programme gives access to world-class online leadership education, ground-breaking research, new analytical frameworks, innovative digital tools for market intelligence and business analysis, the skills needed to manage the development of innovative products end-to-end, and the opportunity to build and deploy cutting-edge suptech applications.
Are you ready?
LEARN, EXPERIENCE AND BUILD
Over the course of nine weeks, you’ll develop a holistic understanding of financial technologies, the opportunities they provide, and the risks they bring. Through an immersive online experience that draws on real-world case studies, you’ll deepen your connection to technology and data science, and familiarize with the many dimension of digital transformation and product lifecycle management. You’ll experience design sprints, conduct suptech diagnostics, create proofs of concept for new applications… that you and your agency may well develop and deploy through the Programme.
Up your INNOVATION game. Maximize your impact
In our vision, effective digital supervision and regulation enable sound and sustainable delivery of innovative financial services, greater protection of consumers, and the pursuit of other policy objectives such as financial integrity and the oversight and mitigation of environmental and governance risks. Through this Programme, the University of Cambridge is providing experiential training and digital tools to establish a new community of leaders that will drive innovation in the financial sector for the decade to come.
As a Programme fellow — one of the Cambridge SupTech Lab Innovation Leaders — you will team up with peer supervisors, regulators, data scientists, and technologists from your agency and across jurisdictions to develop proofs of concept of impactful, scalable suptech applications for their capstone projects.
Some proofs of concept will be selected for production, procuring technology vendors that will work with the Lab’s team and the Innovation Leaders to bring their ideas to life.
WALK AWAY WITH A SUPTECH SOLUTION
Centered on leadership, change, and innovation, the 9-week curriculum is built around six modules that integrate interactive learning tools. After completing the Programme, participants will have completely developed suptech proofs of concept, some of which will be selected for full development and deployment — with sponsorships available. The Lab will assist with the selection and procurement of a technology vendor, management of the production phase, and testing of the application.
In the era of fintech and AI, the very same tools digitalizing the private sector and creating new supervisory risks could also be wielded by the supervisors themselves to mitigate these emerging challenges. The Lab’s Innovation Leaders should be able to break down departmental silos and address supervisory pains (“what do you dread about coming to work in the morning?”) creating solutions that bring transformative gains (“if you could snap your fingers and instantly change anything about your day, what would that be?”). In this course, we bring together the expertise of the supervisors, novel technologies, and a mindful approach to change management and product lifecycle management to actually build valuable cutting-edge suptech solutions. A unique feature for an executive Programme.Matt Grasser, Programme co-Director
To drive deep transformation, we need to infuse in our work a new culture. Creating sustainable innovation with long-lasting impacts requires us to look beyond business cases and technical specifications. Agile development, Human-Centered Design (HCD), and other process-oriented techniques support the shift we aim to instigate in financial supervisory authorities. Also critical is a leadership style that nurtures cooperation, trust, and exploration, shaping an environment where creativity is harnessed, and people are empowered to bring innovation to life. For this reason, we have invited in the Programme communication techniques, embodiment exercises and consciousness-based practices to enable each of us to embody an evolved version of the Innovation Leader.Simone di Castri, Programme co-Director
GET ORIENTED AND INSPIRED
- Familiarize with the scope, learning objectives and timeline of the Programme
- Feel inspired to think beyond the boundaries of your day-by-day job
- Explore the Digital Infrastructure Diagnostic Tool
- Sketch capstones process with teammates
DATA AND TECHNOLOGY
- Play with data and tech tools deployed in FinTech, RegTech and SupTech products
- Describe data science best practices and key features of new technologies
- Assess practical and ethical implications of tech, and the related opportunities and risks
- Blueprint the "Data Stack" model for supervisory data management of your agency
- Start working with members of your team and broader institution on the digital infrastructure diagnostic of your agency or department
Oct 31-Nov 4
CRYPTO, DIGITAL BANKING, ALTERNATIVE CREDIT SCORING, PEER-TO-PEER LENDING, DIGITAL PAYMENTS
- Delve into emerging fintech products and business models
- Discuss how they are reshaping the financial ecosystem
Oct 31-Nov 4
PARADIGM SHIFTS IN FINANCIAL SUPERVISION
5 ALTERNATIVE TRACKS
- CONSUMER PROTECTION AND MARKET CONDUCT SUPERVISION
- AML/CFT/PF SUPERVISION
- PRUDENTIAL & BANKING SUPERVISION
- PAYMENTS OVERSIGHT
- CAPITAL MARKETS AND DIGITAL ASSETS SUPERVISION
- Identify and weigh the main drivers of supervised risks within your jurisdiction
- Describe, analyze and evaluate the supervisory framework implemented in your jurisdiction
- Critically examine the impact of financial technologies on supervised risks
- Characterize risks where SupTech applications could augment the supervisory capabilities of your agency
DIGITAL INFRASTRUCTURE DIAGNOSTIC
- Present to peers your digital infrastructure diagnostic report
Nov 28-Dec 9
- Apply product design best practices, including Human-Centered Design (HCD)
- Develop your value proposition analysis
- Familiarize with cutting-edge SupTechapplications implemented by different authorities
- Lay out the specifications of SupTech applications that match the needs of your agency
- Peer-review the proof of concept of your SupTech application
Nov 28-Dec 9
AGILE PROTOTYPING AND APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT
- Apply product lifecycle management best practices, including Lean Product Management
- Elaborate a strategy for change management related to the applications you aim to implement, identifying dependencies and roles that are critical for the success your SupTech project
- Assess strategies for vendor selection, and identify the optimal choice for development of your suptech application
- Collaborate with peers and explore creative approaches to product development
- Expand your leadership vision and skills to nurture creativity, innovation and collaboration in your agency
- Become a more effective communicator and a more confident decision-maker
- Develop the self-awareness and emotional intelligence of an embodied leader
CAPSTONES & APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
- Every week you and your teammates will work on your capstone projects designing proofs of concept of cutting-edge, scalable suptech applications
- The Lab will run competitions to crowdsource ideas that complement the Capstones and identify vendors for the implementation of the solutions
- Several solutions receive sponsorship for prototyping and deployment
Programme Lecturers and Guest Speakers
Technologists, policy and regulatory experts, economists, entrepreneurs, researchers, product managers, designers, data scientists, coders, and business strategists with global and local expertise will lead the delivery of the curriculum.
Leveraging their first-hand experience and practical case studies from around the world, they will provide foundational knowledge of fintech business models and products, institutional data architectures and underpinning technologies, digital transformation approaches, and train the fellows on product life cycle management and engage with relevant stakeholders.
Dee AllenUniversity of Cambridge
Douglas ArnerUniversity of Hong Kong
Giovanni BandiUniversity of Cambridge
Sholthana BegumFinancial Conduct Authority
Vicente de VillaBangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
Simone di CastriCambridge SupTech Lab
Matt GrasserCambridge SupTech Lab
Rafael MazerInnovation Poverty Lab
Jose Miguel MestanzaCambridge SupTech Lab
Charles NiehausCircle Payments
Juliet OngwaeCambridge SupTech Lab
Pia RomanUnited Nations
Anna WallaceBill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Muthoni WanyoikeSpringer Nature: AI and Ethics Journal
Robert WardropUniversity of Cambridge
John WonLast Mile Money
And other experts
This programme is for you, if you:
- Want to deepen your knowledge while enhancing your capacity in the conceptualization, design, procurement, development and roll-out of suptech applications.
- Are a supervisor, regulator, economist, data scientist,or technologist currently employed by a financial regulatory or supervisory authority.
- Are committed to accelerating the digital transformation of your financial authorities, to furthering innovation in financial sector supervision, and to catalyzing resilient, sustainable, and innovative financial sectors.
YOUR CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
This Programme offers you the opportunity to earn a certificate of completion from one of the world's leading business schools - the University of Cambridge Judge Business School. Your certificate will be issued in your legal name and couriered to you upon successful completion of the Programme, as per the stipulated requirements.
Judge Business School Executive Education
The University of Cambridge Judge Business School Executive Education portfolio comprises over 40 well-crafted programmes that expand the participant's skills and understanding in service of their organisational, personal development and career objectives. These programmes are designed by world-class faculty for managers and leaders looking to learn and grow.
6 seats minimum
Deadline for application:
September 23rd, 2022 at 11:59 PM EDT
Deadline for application:
September 23rd, 2022 at 11:59 PM EDT
SUPTECH SOLUTION DEVELOPMENT
Each team will develop a capstone project represented by a suptech proof of concept. By the end of the Programme, the proof of concept will be ready for production into suptech applications. The cost of production is $150,000 and includes:
- Selection and procurement of a technology vendor through an international competition;
- Management of the production phase;
- Testing of the application using international best practices and certified standards.
SCHOLARSHIPS & SPONSORSHIPS
A limited number of scholarships to attend the Programme and sponsorships for the development of application solutions are available to financial authorities from Low- and Middle-Income Countries who will enroll in the consumer protection track (sponsored by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) in the payments track, or in the Anti-Money Laundering track (sponsored by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office).
- We accept in the Programme either individual fellows or teams that represent a financial authority;
- We highly encourage agencies to enroll the team of 6-10 individuals that would be responsible for the development of a suptech application, roadmap, strategy, open data project, innovation hub, or digital transformation initiative;
- Admissions to the Cambridge SupTech Lab Innovation Leadership Programme are highly selective.
- Institutional admissions are rolling. The sooner you apply, the sooner you will receive a decision.
Do you have any questions?
Find answers in our FAQ slides below
We've held two Q&A sessions in July featuring short introductions to the programme by the Cambridge SupTech Lab team, followed by a chance for applicants to ask any questions that they had about this nine week course, starting in October 2022
Simone di Castri
2 PM BST / 9 AM EDT
1 PM BST / 8 AM EDT